Do you know that a large berry having a single large seed would be greatly beneficial for human health? All in all, Avocado is a fruit that doesn’t even look that tempting. Just think!! What we feel when we see a ripe, juicy mango or a juicy red apple. The immediate thought is just to grab it and eat it up. Alas !! Overall, Avocado with its green skin and pear-shaped or egg-like body hardly tempts our taste buds. The health benefits of avocado are too many.
Moreover, The Scientific name of this fruit is Persea Americana though its origin is not in the USA. It is a member of the flowering plant family “Lauraceae” and has its origin in South Central Mexico (Tehuacan Valley ). In fact, Mexico contributes about 34% of the world’s supply of Avocado. Moreover, this fruit is in great demand, and so it’s cultivation occurs in countries that have tropical and Mediterranean climates.
We all know what is fat. In fact, we all face a continuous struggle to keep “fat “away. However “Good Fat” is Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, which help our body by lowering the risk of diseases. And avocado is probably the only fruit which contains good fat, which is heart-healthy providing a chart that will definitely help you eat this fruit with joy.
Fifty gms of Avocado contains –
|80||8 GM||0 MG||0 MG||4 G||1 G|
The List of Vitamins Avocado provides the body
1) Vitamin A, C, D, E, K Thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, biotin
2) Vitamin B-6, Vitamin B12, folate.
ANTIOXIDANTS AVOCADO PROVIDES
When food breaks down, or when our body comes in contact with smoke from tobacco and radiation, certain molecules are release such as free radicals. Moreover, antioxidants act as shields against these free radicals, which cause deadly diseases like cancer. Do you know that a large berry having a single large seed would be greatly beneficial for human health? Avocado is a fruit that doesn’t even look that tempting. Just think!! What we feel when we see a ripe, juicy mango or a juicy red apple. The immediate thought is just to grab it and eat it up. Alas !! Avocado with its green skin and pear-shaped or egg-like body hardly tempts our taste buds. The Scientific name of this fruit is Persea Americana though its origin is not in the USA. It is a member of the flowering plant family “Lauraceae” and has its origin in South Central Mexico (Tehuacan Valley ). In fact, Mexico contributes about 34% of the world’s supply of Avocado. Due to the health benefits of avocado, it’s in great demand, and so it’s cultivation occurs in countries that have tropical and Mediterranean climates.
COUNTRIES WHERE AVOCADO IS CULTIVATED
The Avocado tree is prone to die due to bacterial infections or other nutritional disease. Overall, it takes 4 to 6 years for a tree to bloom and produce fruits. Well, draining soil is a pre-requisite for cultivating this tree. Top 5 countries growing avocado are –
1)Mexico 2)Dominican Republic 3)Peru 4)Indonesia 5)Colombia
In India, its mainly cultivated on a much smaller scale in – Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Sikkim, Maharashtra, and Karnataka.
AVOCADO IS A GOOD FRIEND OF YOUR HEART
Avocado can be consumed in salads or cooked or even sometimes finds use in soap products and cosmetics. Moreover, it is a fruit that is used in sweet as well as savory dishes. Vegetarian meals sometimes use Avocado in place of meat because it is not sweet having a distinct flavor with a smooth texture.
Overall, health benefits of avocado make it “Nutrient Booster” because it helps to absorb fat-soluble nutrients like vitamin A, D, E & K. As good fats don’t raise the levels of cholesterol, consuming this crocodile skinned fruit is good for the heart because it reduces the risk of heart diseases. It is a rich source of “Polyphenols “ which protects the heart because of its antioxidant effect. Additionally, Avocado for breakfast along with eggs is a popular option for all those who want to maintain their sunshine.
AVOCADO BOOSTS YOUR DIGESTION
Essential nutrients like potassium along with fiber make it a superfood which plays a good role in our digestion. Moreover, sixty-eight gms of Avocado or half the fruit has very little sugar of 0.5gms in the form of glucose, fructose, and galactose. This low level of sugar causes a minimum amount of gas. Overall, Avocado with its green skin and pear-shaped or egg-like body hardly tempts our taste buds. The health benefits of avocado are too many. Its smooth texture and natural fiber prevents constipation and acts as a deterrent against colon cancer. A full portion of the fruit will require only one and a half hours to two hours for digestion. However, it is not good to consume this fruit in an empty stomach because it can cause bloating.
Protection from inflammation
Research has proved that even the seeds of Avocado have anti-inflammatory properties. There are certain diseases that associate with chronic inflammation like colitis, cardiovascular disease, cancer. Thus Avocado is the superfood which is gradually becoming very popular. It actually smoothers the digestive tracks. In the journal,” Advances in Food Technology and Nutritional Sciences “, Joshua Lambert from Penn State has mentioned that further testing of the anti-inflammatory property of Avocado seed extract would be done on the design animal model.
CONSUMING AVOCADO KEEPS A CHECK ON THE WEIGHT
A full helping of the fruit only contributes to 322 calories where most of the calorie actually comes from “oleic acid”-the unsaturated fatty acid.
- Avocado oil- Moreover, replacing sunflower oil or soybean oil with avocado oil is a better alternative because it is rich in monounsaturated fat, which targets weight gain. Penn State study proves the results that people who daily take three tablespoons of high oleic oils for a continuous period of 4 months are able to reduce their belly fat by 1.6% in comparison to those who consume other oils. Overall, the oil has a nutty taste and can be convenient for stir-frying, keeping our guilt factor away. One tablespoon of Avocado oil has only 120 calories.
- Food Suppressants – People who consume half a portion of this fruit actually feel more full. They have 40 % less desire to eat after lunch.
- Improvement of the quality of the diet – Regular consumption of this food lowers body mass index and reduce belly fat considerably. However, a 50 % reduction in the risk of metabolic syndrome is observed in people who regularly enjoy this fruit.
- More Nutrients absorption – Three to five times more carotenoids absorb by the body when we add this fruit to our salads.
- Increases Endurance –Metabolism gets a boost with avocado, and a high oleic acid diet increases the body’s capacity to endure physical activity by 13.5%.
POPULAR DISHES USING AVOCADO
- Guacamole – is a popular Mexican dip which layers on corn tortillas or toasts or even people serve it with spices.
- Milkshakes- Very popular in Southern India, especially Kerala, Tamil Nadu, and Karnataka and also the Philippines, Brazil, Vietnam, and Indonesia. Sometimes even ice cream is a good addition to enhance its taste. A dash of orange flower water is to avocado and milk combination in Morocco.
- However, in Ethiopia, a slice of lemon is added to avocado, sugar, milk or water along with Vimto. People in Australia and New Zealand like the savory version by using avocado spread on sandwiches along with chicken, tuna. Overall, in Haiti, it’s a common item on the breakfast table where people have it with regular bread. In Srilanka, it finds use in a popular dessert. Moreover, in African countries like Kenya or Nigeria, people have it along with other fruits or in salads.